50 First Dates: Starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore

 This week we talked about dating. Wow Dating what a subject. Now I attend Brigham Young University Idaho. It has a nickname. BYU I do. As in marriage. Because people sometimes get married very fast in this school. I am not married yet. My biggest goal is to be a father and husband. SO that means I need to get married and need to go on dates. And hey I have been on some dates. Yes Sirrr. What makes a good date though. Why date? How long should you be engaged? Is Cohabitation a Good Precursor to marriage. These are questions.


Now with my biggest goal as it is I also have a fear of a failed marriage. To be fair Divorce rates are not the lowest ever. It is a very real and prevalent thing in and out of the church. So what is a young currently single man to do? Well I should probably go outside for a start. But to be serious I think it means I just need to go on dates. Which I do sometimes.


So I know a couple who dated for less than 4 weeks and got engaged and they are still married many years later. Other Couples do not last that long. SO the question is why. The answer is  different for different people. For me I just say everyone is different. It works for some, it does not for others. If you know you know.  Why? Are some people just more lucky? More blessed?


Everyones lives are different. This is such a glorious thing about life. We all have trials however. Dating and Marriage may be one of them. And no marriage is perfect. No relationship is perfect. We just need to keep trying to live and be a little bit better. I need to be better. But that takes time. So looking for perfection in a spouse is a losing game. No one is perfect. I know I am not. Are you?


I believe you are not. Which is totally OK. But what do you look for in a date? Like imagine you are on a first date with a nice person from your school. They are cool. What do you want to happen? What are your expectations? I think it is different each date. Maybe you think this person is really cool and cute and you're like maybe this’ll go somewhere. Or maybe you're just asking a friend out on a date to you know go on a date. And neither are wrong. The process of meeting the person you may someday marry and then dating that person is not a streamlined process because we as human beings are all over the place.  And we are looking for different things in a relationship.


For members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Marriage is a top priority for a good chunk of us. We believe in a Temple marriage where if you get married in the temple and keep the promises you made with each other and god in the temple you can be with your family forever. That kind of promise is called a Covenant. So making sure you marry someone who through bad or worse you can keep pushing through life is important. I want to marry someone who is kind. Kindness is so important. I want to be happy with the one I love. 


However marriage is not always a happy fun timez. It is hard. Which is why we need the savior. He can always help us. He is always there for us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One last Time

Sex is like an Apple: Brad Wilcox

Father's